Community Development and Planning
Community Development and Planning is responsible for planning, property development, and land use-related issues in the City of La Porte. The Department performs a variety of services intended to protect and maintain sustainable neighborhoods, guide property owners on zoning and development issues, and develop strategies to ensure the future viability of attractive residential and commercial areas within an economically healthy community.
La Porte, surrounded by lakes and walkable historic downtown, is the best-kept secret in Indiana. The City of La Porte is a community dedicated to outdoor recreation while fostering a vibrant downtown for businesses and remote workers. La Porte is the walkable city of the future. La Porte’s master plan includes connecting Downtown, Newporte Landing, and all neighborhoods to a beautiful trail system that traverses lakes and parks. The vision for La Porte’s healthy recreation initiatives, innovative business development, and year-round, bucket-list events continue to grow for the benefit of our growing community and visitors.
Request For Proposal
Incentives & Grants
- Housing Action Agenda. Vibrant Communities La Porte County. (PDF Download)
Comprehensive City Planning
- Parks 5-Year Master Plan 2018-22 PDF
- Heart of La Porte Plan Feb 2020 PDF
- Post Charrette Plan July 2020 - View on Shared Drive - Large File
- La Porte Youth Downtown And Lakes Development Plan
- La Porte Gateway Corridor Revitalization Plan
- 2020 La Porte Branding and Signage (2018 placement guidelines) Link
- La Porte Wayfinding Sign System (2018) PDF
- City of La Porte Complete Streets Ordinance PDF
- 2013 Trails and Greenways Master Plan
- 2008 La Porte County Land Development Plan Map
- 2008 La Porte County Land Development Plan
- 2006 Sidewalks Inventory
- 2006 Downtown Action Agenda
- Friday Night Live - 3rd Fridays in the Summer - CruiseIn'
- La Porte Farmers Market - Saturdays Late Spring through the Fall
- Click Here to see Current and Future Trails
- Clear Lake Greenway
- La Stitch Community Space
La Stitch is located at the corner of Lincolnway and Monroe in Downtown La Porte. La Stitch is decorated with string lights hung from one side of the street to the other, was created to provide a new and unique place to host City events and bring the community together.
The meaning of the name “La Stitch” is two-fold. A “stitch” is a city planning term used to designate a central street or common area within a community. The name is also reflective of our goal for this space, which is to “stitch” our community together through food, music, and conversation
- Jackson Street Community Garden
Created in partnership with the City of La Porte, the Jackson Street Community Garden is committed to growing food communally and to giving back to our neighbors.
|Richards, Mary Ann||CDBG Program Manager||219-362-8260|
|Heinold, AICP, David||Assistant Planner||219-362-8260|