Heavy Equipment Mechanic - Street Department
Posted: Sep 12, 2022
Close: Until Sep 30, 2022
HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC $23.00 PER HOUR - STREET DEPARTMENT
Mechanical repair and routine maintenance for Street Department equipment and vehicles.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Repairs and performs maintenance work on all street department vehicles including light and heavy duty vehicles, such as pickup trucks, dump trucks, and other heavy road/snow removal equipment.
- Tests equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturer’s specifications.
- Repairs and replaces damaged or worn parts on all Street Department vehicles and equipment.
- Operates and inspects machines or heavy equipment in order to diagnose defects.
- Diagnoses faults or malfunctions to determine required repairs.
- Dismantles and reassembles heavy equipment using hoists and hand tools.
- Cleans, lubricates, and performs other routine maintenance work on equipment and vehicles.
- Examines parts for damage or excessive wear.
- Schedules maintenance for machines and equipment, and keeps equipment service records.
- Reads and understands operating manuals, blueprints, schematics and technical drawings.
- Overhauls and tests machines or equipment to ensure operating efficiency.
- Repairs and routine maintenance work including but not limited to: minor/major tune-ups, rebuilding of motors, transmission repair; oil changes, lubrication, hydraulic maintenance, tire maintenance, etc.
- Responsible for spreader, plow and leaf applications.
- Orders and maintains inventory of parts for vehicle/equipment repair and maintenance.
- May also perform maintenance/repairs on small equipment such as power lawn mowers, chain saws, bush hogs, etc.
- Determines when/if a vehicle needs warranty work; keeps warranty maintenance and information up-to-date.
- Attends off-premises training programs concerning mechanical maintenance of new or different items or other specialized training including tree removal techniques, etc.
- Performs functions of street department helper as needed, including but not limited to snow plowing, grass cutting, tree cut-up and removal using power saws, etc. and perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE and/or EXPERIENCE
One year certificate from college or technical school; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. ASE Certified preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is loud. Incumbents may be required to work overtime, respond to after hour emergencies, or be called at any hour as needed.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
Valid Indiana Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class B with Airbrakes. Mechanical Certification preferred.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Previous mechanical experience. Knowledge of heavy equipment such as front-end loaders, snow plows, tree chippers, etc. Ability to learn and understand mechanical concepts. Wide range of knowledge concerning general building maintenance, maintenance and troubleshooting of electrical equipment, mechanical equipment and vehicles.
Excellent benefit package, employee/dependent clinic, competitive wages, including 14 paid holidays.
Interested candidates should download a City of La Porte employment application online at www.cityoflaporte.com or through Indeed.com. Applications are available at City of La Porte Human Resources Department, Second Floor, 801 Michigan Avenue, La Porte, Indiana. For your convenience, applications will be accepted at the drive-thru, drop box or via email to email@example.com.