Recreation Director - Park and Rec Department
Posted: Oct 11, 2023
Close: Until Dec 1, 2023
The Director of Recreation will develop, administer and supervise recreational activities of the City of La Porte, Indiana Park and Recreation Department. Duties include the following; however other duties may be assigned.
- Plans and organizes comprehensive recreational services and activities for youth and adults. Programs include but are not limited to: Adult Softball, Art Camp, Lifeguards/beach operation, T-ball, Youth Softball, Ceramics, Crafts/Fine Arts, Youth Baseball, Aerobics, Yoga, Adult Basketball, Tennis
- Recruits, interviews, hires, evaluates and trains seasonal staff (including volunteers and lifeguards) employed in the Park and Recreation Department’s programs; Plans, assigns and directs work; performance evaluations; rewards and disciplines employees, addresses complaints and resolves issues.
- Supervises the recreational programs; responds to inquiries, problems and complaints.
- Solicits sponsorships and plans fundraising events to support various recreation programs (e.g. youth sports, festivals).
- Purchases necessary equipment and supplies and schedules facilities to conduct recreational activities.
- Prepares the necessary budgets to conduct department activities. Manages the fees and expenses of each activity.
- Coordinates activities, facilities and recreation programs offered by the department with other agencies (e.g. YMCA, School Corporation).
- Markets departmental activities through various forms of media (e.g. newspaper, radio, television, social media) and develops other material (e.g. flyers, brochures) to publicize activities.
Manages 18-20 subordinate supervisors who supervise a total of 75-80 employees in the various programs. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the recreational programs. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
Assists the Park and Recreation Director as needed.
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience an/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Applications and/or resumes will be accepted at www.cityoflaporte.com/jobs, or in person at Park and Recreation Office, 250 Pine Lake Ave. or at Human Resources, 801 Michigan Ave., La Porte, IN 45350.
Generous benefit package, competitive wages, employee/dependent clinic, 16 paid Holidays. The City of La Porte is a qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
The City of La Porte is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
The City of La Porte is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.