Citizens Police Academy
Classes - *We currently do not have any citizen's police academies scheduled.
The Citizen's Police Academy is a 12-week program. Classes are taught by sworn police officers from various branches of the La Porte Police Department. Classes will be held one night per week for three hours and are free to all qualifying members of the public.
The purpose of this program is to facilitate better communications between the Police Department and the citizens of La Porte County through education. Graduates of this program will be better informed and have a greater understanding of police procedures and practices.
- Must be a La Porte County resident or work within the La Porte Police Department's jurisdiction
- Must be approved by the chief of police
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be willing to undergo a background investigation
- Must have no felony convictions
- Must have no misdemeanor convictions in the last three years
- Topics Covered in the Citizen's Police Academy
- Recruitment and training
- Criminal and traffic law
- Use of force
- Accident Investigation
- Crime Scene Processing
- Defensive Tactics
- Emergency Vehicle Operations
- Traffic Stop
- Bike Patrol
- K-9 Operations
- Emergency Response Team Operations