- Ability to stay busy while working, but not be overwhelmed, which allows officers to develop their policing skills quickly.
- The flexibility allows patrol officers the time to do some of their own investigations rather than turning everything over to the Detective Bureau to investigate.
- Labor contract between Fraternal Order of Police La Porte Lodge #54 and the City of La Porte establishes working conditions and benefits in writing.
- Officers receive a take-home squad car after successfully completing Field Training.
- Officers work fixed eight-hour shifts with shift choice based on seniority after completion of Field Training. The schedule for patrol officers is four days working followed by two days off.
- Opportunity to work for a medium-sized department that offers chances for advancement and also to become involved in specialized fields such as Bike Patrol, the Emergency Response Team, and the Detective Bureau.
- Promotions are based on a combination of exam scores, performance evaluations and seniority rather than political appointments as some departments do.
- Serving a community that offers a lot of positive aspects in terms of economic growth, general atmosphere, and working environment.
- Weapons, uniforms,s and basic equipment are furnished when an officer is hired. The officer is responsible for purchasing replacement uniforms as needed. Both Class A and Class B or battle dress (BDU) style uniforms and the use of nylon leather gear is authorized.
- Good fringe benefits package which includes:
- 14 vacation days after one year of service increasing up to thirty-one days of vacation after twenty years of service.
- 2% longevity pay increase for every three years of service up to a maximum of fourteen percent.
- Enforce all Indiana criminal laws and local ordinances.
- Engage in preventive patrol to prevent criminal, traffic, and ordinance violations and increase public safety.
- Follow all orders emanating from superior officers.
- Interact with the citizens in a positive, proactive manner to find solutions to problems in our community.
- Respond to and document complaints that are criminal and civil in nature.
- Respond to and investigate crimes and traffic accidents that occur within the City of La Porte.