Engineering & Building
NEW! Save time and complete your Building Permit Application, upload supporting documents, and check the status of your request using our online portal. Get started by clicking here.
The Building Department is responsible for the issuance of building permits and performing required inspections of construction projects within the city limits of La Porte.
Our purpose is to enforce the standards set forth by the Indiana Building and Fire Codes and local ordinances that provide minimum requirements to safeguard the public's safety, health, and general welfare.
The Building Department issues and oversees contractor registration. Contractors and their subcontractors working within the city limits of La Porte are to be registered and bonded per local ordinance.
For a link to the codes, standards, and other rules set forth by the state of Indiana, click here.
- Complete designs of small projects, including plans and specifications
- Complete inspections of building projects
- Coordinate major projects with citizens, staff, and architects/engineers
- Monitor flood plain compliance
- Review data and evaluate citizen projects for code/zoning compliance
- Review data and issue building permits
- Assess trees and field trimming and removal requests.
You can find the map for proposed flood plain changes here.
On the map, the light blue line represents the current floodplain limits and the magenta line represents the proposed new floodplain limits. Regarding structures, we denoted structures that would be removed from the floodplain with yellow dots, and structures that appear to remain in the floodplain are denoted with red dots.
La Porte Trax - Railroad Cross Grade Separation Project
- Preliminary Plans - Part 1
- Preliminary Plans - Part 2
- Categorical Exclusion/Environmental Assessment Form
|Engineering and Building Staff|
|Novak, Jamie||Engineering Coordinatoremail@example.com||219-362-2327|
|Minich, Nick||City Engineerfirstname.lastname@example.org||219-362-2327|
|Mrozinske, Floyd||Building Inspectoremail@example.com||219-362-2327|
|Owens, Nick||Engineering Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org||219-362-2327|