Lindewald Park, formerly known as City Park, is considered La Porte’s first park. A parcel of land, 9.4 acres on Lower Lake, was purchased in 1890. The original parcel contained a notable grove of white oaks, of which a few stands of this native timber still remains.
In 2006, the park was renamed for Charles W. Lindewald, a local soldier who gave his life in the Vietnam War. Lindewald, a U.S. Army Master Sergeant and a La Porte native, was
declared missing in action following an attack in
1968. His body was not found until November 2003, when a U.S.
government excavation team recovered the remains of Lindewald, who was
29 when he died.
The park is a popular site for family reunions and picnics. Facilities include a picnic shelter, playground, restrooms, ball diamond and 12 lighted horseshoe pits, which are home to the La Porte Horseshoe Pitches Association. In 2018, the playground was renovated with two new structures funded by the Urban Enterprise Association.